TEACH EMPATHY, KINDNESS AND COMPASSION
- Harvard Graduate School of Education has 5 recommendations on how parents can teach empathy. http://deb.bi/Harvard-HowtoTeachEmpathy
- Turn this into an empathy exercise.
- As a team member, I will teach your kid how to make a music video, how to make their own fundraising website.
Each kid has to send their own Thank Yous to their donors. Your child can add your their picture, add stickers, change the colour on this template http://deb.bi/ThankYou-Template
More importantly, if you watch Asher's video - it's the realisation that one of their t-shirts can put a child through school for a whole year that teaches them to be grateful for what they have.
US$25 / S$35 to send a child to school for ONE WHOLE YEAR. The kids get so excited whenever they get a donation that they are literally counting the number of students they've helped because the realization that their sacrifice has given another child the opportunity to go to school is so profoundly empowering.
That feeling is better and lasts longer than any Christmas present they could have received.
BUT IT STARTS WITH YOU
- Most parents I talk to refuse to take part because they think it's too cruel to take Christmas away from their child
- You're not taking Christmas away - you can still celebrate Christmas.
- But this gives you the chance to give your kids perspective. Talk to your kids about those who are less fortunate and expand their circle of concern beyond themselves, their immediate families
- Teach them to be globally responsible citizens
- Expect some push-back. Even tears. That's okay. Use this as an opportunity to do some emotional coaching. You're teaching them how to manage their socio-emotional intelligence
- And the feel good factor after they've received their first donation more than compensates for the tears (Backed by science - it's a chemical called Oxytocin that is naturally released when you help someone else)
JOIN US WITH 5 SIMPLE STEPS
- Click on join team and sign up as a team member (use your child's name)
- Set a small fundraising target (say 4 X $25 e.g. ask grandparents on both sides).
- Kickstart it with a donation from yourself to your child
- Upload your child's photo, add your own personal message / video
- Share the page on Facebook
YOUR FRIENDS WILL BE SO IMPRESSED - YOU WILL GET MORE DONATIONS FROM PEOPLE YOU DID NOT EXPECT
STILL HAVE LOTS OF TIME!
SURPRIZES FROM SANTA - DON'T TELL YOUR CHILD OR WE'LL SPOIL THIS EXERCISE!
We know it's a really big deal to ask a kid to give up his Xmas presents so we have something really special for those who agree.
WIN a BB-8 for the child who gives up the most!!! By 22 Dec, the family who has raised the most money for another child's education will get a special surprise from Santa - their very own #bb8 which I will DHL worldwide. Out of my own pocket.
WIN a BB-8 for the best effort / video!!!! We know some families may be in a position to raise more than others so we have a prize for best effort!! If you can show how much it meant to your child to sacrifice their presents or how you were able to convince him or her, post the video on our Facebook page and the one with the most likes gets a special present from Santa for effort too!